Whether that is to family, friends, or charities, it is important to open our hearts and spread the spirit of the holidays to the people and things that are most dear to us.
Ramey Kemp Associates (RKA) has always had a long history of giving back to foundations that have an impact on our local communities. That is why, this year, RKA decided to take a step back from our traditional gift-giving to clients. Popcorn tins… Cookie plates… you all know what we are talking about. The myriad of sweets and snacks that fill up the breakroom before eventually being tossed out.
Instead, RKA staff nominated the causes and organizations nearest and dearest to their hearts to be considered for holiday “gift-giving” in honor of our clients. It was no surprise, when we received an influx of charities and foundations our team members already supported. (I mean, one of RKA’s core values is to “Be Helpful,” after all.) After much consideration, we are proud to announce the foundations we will be donating to in order to honor our clients this holiday season:
- ACE Mentor Program (Raleigh/Durham) Over the past 16 years, the ACE Mentor Program of Raleigh / Durham has provided high school students countless hours of mentorship with working career professionals and has awarded its participants over eighty scholarships to study architecture, construction management, and engineering.
- Her Spark (Raleigh) Her Spark’s mission is to equip girls with the STEM skills and opportunities to succeed in the careers of tomorrow – dedicated to solving gender disparity in computer science, engineering, and technology careers. Founded by professional women and business leaders, fueled by the possibilities of engaging with bright, young women to fulfill their passions while diversifying the STEM talent pipeline.
- Toys for Tots (Richmond) Marine Toys for Tots is a foundation enables the U.S. Marine Corps to assist and provide hope for children from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. Their objective is to play an active roll in the development of one of our nation’s most vulnerable resources — our children. In 2020, the Richmond branch of Toys for Tots supported over 22,500 local children.
- Lowcountry Orphan Relief (SC) Lowcountry Orphan Relief, Inc. (LOR) is a non-profit organization that provides goods and services to children who have been abused or neglected. They work directly with other non-profits, schools, foster parents, and government agencies to identify the individual needs of these and other children in severe situations and intervene at critical junctures in the lives of these children, with products and services that provide a strong, positive impact. Donations go towards items like school supplies and uniforms, scholarship awards, and care kits. LOR has assisted over 30,000 children since 2006.
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina (CLT) Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina provides a crucial link between available food and those who need it most. Local and national producers have excess food that may otherwise go to waste for lack of a way to deliver it to those in need. RKA is proud to have donated the equivalent of 7,000 pounds of food towards this important cause.
- United Hands Relief & Development Winter Relief Appeal (Global) United Hands for Relief and Development (UHR) engages in humanitarian projects both locally and internationally to assist those in dire need of assistance. We have chosen to donate toward the Winter Emergency Fund for displaced refugees. This fund provides essential winter support like nutritious food, proper heating, and blankets to protect lives all winter long.
- Child Life Holiday Elves For 36 years, Duke Health’s Facility Planning, Design & Construction (FPDC) has collected toys from the contractors, architects, engineers, and consultants that they work with. Kids not only need the comfort of toys and gifts during the Holidays, but their families need support.
We want to thank each and every one of our clients for their support this past year and for enabling us to give back to so many wonderful foundations. We encourage each and every one of you to visit the websites for each charity listed above to learn more and join us in the spirit of giving.
Ramey Kemp Associates